KIMONO and JAPANESE CULTURE SPECIALIST & CONSULTANT
Hitomi Harama is a kimono and Japanese cultural specialist.
Having been raised by a family of kimono connoisseurs and being immersed in various traditional Japanese cultural customs and values during her upbringing, noticing that good old traditional cultural values and familiarities are rapidly diminishing prompted her to take action to preserve the important cultural values of traditional kimono as well as the beauty of Japanese culture, including its customs, designs, and craftsmanship.
Her passion to conserve the traditional beauty of kimono and Japanese culture has led Hitomi to various activities: she has curated kimono exhibits; presented talks and lectures at museums, universities, public and private schools, and textile-related corporate institutions; and she has worked as a Japanese cultural consultant for the film industry and design institutes in North America.
In 2020, Hitomi started her YouTube Channel “Kimono Japan”, providing English-speaking audiences with an easily accessible way of learning more about kimono and Japanese culture.
Some Online References to Hitomi’s work:
- Exibition at University of Victoria Legacy Art Gallery (2021)
- Presenter at “Gendered Threads of Globalization” (2020)
- “Woven, Embroidered and Stitched in Tradition: Women’s Textile Labour in 20th Century Asia” (2020) at University of Victoria
- “Kimono Culture” (2017) at Nikkei National Museum
- Kimono display for ‘Madame Butterfly’, Pacific Opera Victoria (2015) at Royal Theatre Victoria
- “Kimono: Japanese Culture in its Art form” (2014) at Art Gallery of Greater Victoria (A short YouTube video of the exhibition)
My Mission: Share Japanese culture and the rich tradition of the Kimono with people around the world.
Our family runs a traditional Kimono retail store located in Nagoya, Japan for over 85 years.
The vast majority of our products are imported from Japan and have many been procured from some of the finest artisans & craftsmen our nation has to offer.
We are driven to fulfill the Kimono needs of Japan & the world over and would be delighted to assist you in any matter regarding Kimono.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.